Monday, May 27, 2013

Tutorial: Diaper Cake


MATERIALS:
  • 108 – Size 3 Diapers (LUVS)
  • Wood board: 14" x 12" 
  • Wrapping paper cardboard tube
  • Curling ribbon
  • Ribbon of various widths: 2″ and 2 1/2″
  • Wrapping paper
  • Safety pins




I had a wood board laying around in the garage.  It was the perfect size and sturdiness for a large diaper cake.  I used the wrapping paper that is incorporated with the baby shower theme to wrap the board.  





STEP 1:  I used the curling ribbon to create a circle with a 12" diameter.  I started to fill the circle with diapers in a circular pattern.  

I'm not fond of the rolled diaper cakes. It seems much more tedious to roll diapers individually.  I cannot even imagine what the new mother thinks when she has to undo each one.  





STEP 2:  Once I was almost done filling in the first layer, I placed the cardboard tube into the center of the diaper cake.  











STEP 3:  Repeat STEP 1 with a smaller circle of curling ribbon.  FILL! FILL! FILL!  

Repeat STEP 1 for each tier that you want to create.  I was happy with four tiers and I reached the top of my cardboard tube.  














STEP 4:  I wrapped each tier with 3" white ribbon and 2" and 2 1/2" colored ribbon.  I used a safety pin to keep the ribbons in place without pinning them to the diapers.  




















STEP 5:  Decorate!  I had the yellow daffodils on hand and just created some bows. I created small clusters of daffodils and tucked them into the existing safety pins.  I pinned the bows to the ribbons to hide the existing safety pins.  I did not secure the diaper cake topper because I knew that it would not move around a lot.  





2 comments:

  1. wow!! this must've taken you quite awhile to complete!!
    (@dlhwz, blog hop #2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Diaper cakes are so much fun to make! I love to decorate them with baby rattles, booties, washcloths, pacifiers, and other baby items.

    Magena-- Follow Me 13
    www.childrenatplay2.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete